April 27, 2013

Sir Percy Day - Part One: Quotes By and About Sir Percy

From The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982)

The only power that I can see at present, mademoiselle, is the power of your beauty.

What is it you Frenchies say? Tou-che? You see I'm a poet, and you didn't know it, what?

You must tell me all about yourself, in every detail, but oh, so slowly, so very slowly, so that it takes a very, very long time.

If we are to succeed, we must maintain our anonymity, mask our identities. Even if it means suffering the mockery of others. Being taken for fools, fops, nitwits, even cowards.

My dear chap, I never would have dreamt of depriving you of your moment of triumph. Alas, a moment was all I could spare.

Let that be a lesson to you, sir. Never take anyone for granted.


From The Scarlet Pimpernel (1934)
(Because we have to remind ourselves that there are different versions out there....)

Slap me, I'm bubbling over with good humor this morning. Would you believe me, I've just written a masterpiece. [...] Yes, sir. All about this mysterious Pimpernel fellow. How it came to me Heaven only knows, because it was the busiest moment of the day. Damn me, I was tying my cravat.

Open up your sleeves, man. Let your ruffles take the air. Let them flow. Let them ripple.

It's a dangerous game, my dear. Falling in love with a phantom. For all you know, he might be a married man who is deeply in love with his wife.


From the novel, El Dorado

But remember that in life there is always one supreme moment when Chance - who is credited to have but one hair on her head - stands by you for a brief space of time; sometimes that space is infintitesimal - one minute, a few seconds - just the time to seize Chance by that one hair.

The Scarlet Pimpernel was a personality of whom an entire nation might justly be proud.

Armand's thoughts flew back to that other plotter, the man with the pure and simple aims, the man whose slender fingers had never handled alien gold, but were ever there ready stretched out to the helpless and the weak, whilst his thoughts were only of the help that he might give them, but never of his own safety.

(Last, my personal favorite quote from El Dorado!)
Tony: But why?  Percy, in the name of Heaven, doyou realise what you are doing?
Percy: Perfectly.
Tony: They'll not leave a stone unturned to find you - they know by now, believe me, that your hand did this trick.
Percy: I know that.
Tony: And yet you mean to go back?
Percy: And yet I am going back.


Sink me, he's the best!

~Eowyn~

5 comments:

Arielle Melody Bailey said...

*screams with joy* I LOVE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE QUOTES!!!!!!

If I had to pick a favorite or two, it would be 'My dear chap' and 'It's a dangerous game, my dear'.

Arielle Melody Bailey said...

Oh, yes, and the El Dorado quote at the end is just... MAGNIFICENT!!!

AddyLovesWolves said...

Hehe, I think one of my favorites (and I mean just one them, I love ALL :)) Is, My dear chap, I never would have dreamt of depriving you for your moment of triumph. Alas, a moment was all I would spare :P

-Belle

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys liked the quotes. It's SO hard to pick just a few. I'd say to just go and read the books and watch the movie. : D

Melody - I totally agree with you. We need that last one on a t-shirt or something!!

-Eowyn-

Alexandra said...

Siiiiiiiiiiiiigh. That is all. :)